1.09.2010

Let this be an inagural post.

I have a condition.

It's called "terminal laziness".

Today, my husband sent me a text regarding a song he had heard on the radio. Since the birth of our daughter, Reagan, he's been tuned in and sensitive to country songs about children and fathers. And there's a lot of them.

This particular song was about a husband and wife who just couldn't make it work. A sad song, a sweet song, but a song that I didn't really think had any relevance to our lives. I commented back, saying that I hope we never have to deal with that.

His response, "Then get cleaning."

Here in lies my problem. I am a terrible housekeeper. Terrible. Let me repeat that over and over and over. TERRIBLE, LOUSY, AWFUL, LAZY, NOT CARING HOUSE KEEPER. Did I make that clear? Good. Hopefully clearer then my windows.

As I mentioned before, we welcomed our first child into this world last July. Suddenly, it wasn't just me and my husband. There was this little screaming, pooping, constantly-eating being that needed me to keep her life clean. Plus, the added responsibility of being a 'good role model', so she doesn't grow up to be just like her procrastinating, lazy mother. (ed note: self-deprecation is my strong suit. Forgive me.)

Since then, I've made great strides in being a better mother and wife. Sadly, they are still falling short. Why? This crazy new thing called THE INTERNET seems to hold most of my attention. I am drawn to it, with it's shiny things and wealth of knowledge hidden within. Of course, this means that I shirk a lot of my daytime duties, outside of keeping my little one happy, healthy and fed.

How to resolve this problem? As I was cleaning this morning (I know!) I thought to myself, "You know. There are hundreds of blogs out there. Why don't I make my time on the internet somewhat constructive? I mean. It's good to have goals, right?"

So here I am. Putting it out there for the world to know: I DO NOT KEEP A CLEAN HOUSE. This is not to say my house is a sty or would be featured on A&E's Hoarders or would be shut down by the health dept. No, it's simply just a cluttered, unkempt mess.

Too boot, my husband, bless his heart, recently got us our own spanking new joint to call our own. Yes, our very first home that we will own in 30 or so years. I love my house. Love it. There is nothing I don't like about it. It's exactly the kind of house I wanted us to grown old in, on exactly the kind of street, with just a slightly smaller yard and no fence. These are details, unimportant.

Fact is this: it's make or break time. He's given the me awesome charge of being STAY AT HOME MOM. This means, I have no excuse as to why the house shouldn't be clean at all time, aside from extenuating circumstances.

So my goal is this: Tackle at least one thing each day. Post about it. Talk about the things that get in the way of me getting to that goal. Use this as a daily record of my progress, or decline. That's that. Here we go.

No comments:

older